Friday, July 25, 2008

Right on Target



There must be opposition in all things. Dark/light. Day/night. wal*mart/TARGET. We can't appreciate one without the other. I hate hate hate going to wal*mart. (You know this). TARGET, on the other hand, is my happy place. So I was dreading going to wal*mart today for groceries when my friend reminded me that there was a new TARGET and it was a SUPER TARGET. I thought, "That's a little redundant ... like saying Super Superman." But then she told me that meant there would be groceries there. So that turned my frown upside down and I was on my way. It was not as close as I would have liked but it would be worth it, I was sure of it. When I got there, there was a big sign that said,"Open July 27". Bummer. But there were cars in the parking lot so I drove up to the front and one of the heros in red was out front. I rolled down my window and he said,"you can come in and shop if you want - we could use the practice." It was like the Disneyland Dream Squad all over again. Seriously. So I went in. It was glorious. Clean and new. Other heros in red got excited when they saw me there and began to follow me around.

Can I help you find something?
Can I get something down for you?
Cool new carts, huh?
You smell nice.
Please let me help you.
No, me!

At one point there were four following me. I really thought they might of been dancing behind me as I walked - not unlike "I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here" a la Annie. I would turn around really fast and they would pretend to be straightening something on a shelf or tying their shoes. They were wish, wish, wishing I would need help. Too bad I could don a red shirt myself and tell people the location of any product in that store.

Unfortunately, however, the Super in Super TARGET wasn't so super. They didn't have many groceries and the ones they did have were overpriced. But it was worth the trip. One of my fantasies came true. It was like I got a Make-A-Wish even though I'm all better. I'll check it off the list. Now on to working in a cranberry bog...

8 comments:

MH72 said...

what a trip!!! *LOL*

Unknown said...

I am just the opposite - I detest Target and can't pass up a Wal*mart. I can never find what I'm looking for in Target, even when someone has told me that's where to go get it. And the people in red? They must look at me and think "Let's just ignore her and maybe she'll go away."

I'm not necessarily saying that the Wal*mart here in town is so great - I actually like the one in Highland much better - but at least the people there respond when I ask a question, and like you with Target, I know where everything is and can find it myself. And Wal*mart has sewing supplies and Weight Watcher foods.

Katie Price said...

there's a reason we buy groceries at walmart and not target. target is terribly overpriced for food. and every time i go there they are out of everything i want.

stacia said...

target is my happy place too...but not for groceries. i'll be updating soon so you can start stocking again...

Sara Bosler Castro said...

shelby, you are my happy place.

Jen said...

I *heart* Target. I've never bought groceries there though. It's probably because I have to drive 30 minutes to get to the nearest Target and it only takes 5 minutes to get to Wal*mart. I refuse to buy produce and meat there.

I've had a ton of bad experiences at Wal*mart one of them being while an employee was passing by with a cart that had boxes sloppily stacked 10 ft high and they fell on me. They weren't very light either. I'm glad it was me and not an elderly person or a baby.

Phew! This reply is long-winded. It all boils down to this in my opinion. Target = Heaven, Wal*mart = Hell ;)

Toria said...

agree with you 100%. Target all the way and it's sad to say that aside from actual people (ie. friends and family) I miss Target most! Maybe I've just lived in overpriced cities, but Target groceries are cheaper on some things, plus they have yummy fruit leather- I'm craving fruit leather right as I'm typing.

Shelby- we need to catch up sometime. I'll send you an email instead of taking up more room with my comment.

Andrea said...

Funny - we had one open up around the corner on the same day. People are flocking.