Sunday, August 24, 2008

what would you give your life for?

Today I taught about the Army of Helaman in The Book of Mormon to my sunday school class. As I prepared I remembered hearing the story when I was a kid and thinking,"would I join that army knowing I could die for righteousness?" I also remembered thinking, "Sure I would!!" I'd go down in a blaze of glory and be remembered with the martyrs of the gospel. I'd be a hero, right? SO as I thought of that again this week, I thought "could I give up my life for the gospel now?" It's different now, I have much more to lose. I have my family to think about. My life is bigger than when I was a kid. But as I thought it over, I again came to the conclusion that sure, I'd give my life for the gospel. At that same moment the thought came to me,"So why haven't you??" Oh. Here I am thinking I'm pretty great to be willing to go through death when it's really my LIFE the Lord wants. I say I'll give my life but some days I can't find 15 minutes to read the scriptures or pray?? Sure, I'll die for you but don't make me do my visit teaching!! That's too much to ask! I need to be willing to serve and pray. Every moment of my life. He wants me to dedicate my life to Him. These young men who were called to fight were good kids. They not only were willing to die for the truth, they had already spent their lives living for it. They were raised in good homes full of love and a testimony that the gospel of Jesus Christ was true. "Yea, and they did obey and observe to perform every word of command with exactness; yea, and even according to their faith it was done unto them; and I did remember the words which they said unto me that their mothers had taught them." I, too, was raised in home where my parents knew and loved the gospel. I've had the same opportunities they had. I need to make more of myself. The best quote in the lesson today was from President Ezra Taft Benson. He said,“Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace. Whoever will lose his life in the service of God will find eternal life”. What an awesome promise. So once again, I try to be nice and give something to the Lord and I find out He's standing there waiting to bless me even more.

Isn't God so good?

5 comments:

Amanda in GA said...

Shelby thanks I need to hear that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Shelby. It's always nice to be reminded of things we need to be doing. And by the way, I really love Helaman ... and the Book of Mormon guy as well. :)

With love always,
Denise

Lorie said...

What a great little mini lesson on your blog! I stayed home today with sick kids and it was nice to have an uplifting message.

Jennie Taylor said...

Shelby--Thanks for the inspiring thought! I love that quote from President Benson!

~ kietra ~ said...

Hi Shelby- I don't know if you remember us or not- we only knew you a brief time before we moved but I recently found your blog from Joel Conte's site. I really appreciate the thoughts you write because they always touch me and help me reflect more deeply. Thank you for your thoughts!!