Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I got four boss tattoos!

Hi everybody. Sorry for the long delay in writing. I really thought I'd feel better by now. Oh well. Could be worse - I could have cancer, right? I thought I'd type a little update. The sores on my feet and hands are starting to heal (heel?) and I'm hoping to start getting some feeling back soon, too. My hair ISN'T growing and probably won't start (according to my doc) for another 6 weeks. I've gotten pretty used to myself bald and Preslie even prefers it. I love the unconditional love of babies. This dumb bug I have should be gone soon. I feel better today than yesterday. That's how it used to be. That makes me happy.

I went in for another appointment with the radiation oncologist today. I know so much about that stuff because of Jaym and yet I was still pretty nervous. Weird. There were tears, nudity and long boring parts. Sounds like an Oscar movie. They painted, drew and tattooed all over my body. The paint markers smelled like those markers we all had when we were young that would draw with purple and then put a sweet silver edge around everything. I have a big blue paint line that goes from my neck down and then some on each side and one on each arm. they put clear tape over them to make sure they don't wash off - even though they said they're pretty impossible to wash off. Then I got tiny tattoos. One on my chest, one on my tummy and one on each side. Then they laid me down on a black garbage bag on a table and shot me in and out of a big cheerio to make sure it was all in the right spots. When they finished congratulating themselves for getting it right, they put some weird chemicals into the garbage bag and it started to foam up and get hot. It formed all around my body to make a cool shelby-shape. Then it cooled down and hardened. They'll use it each time so that they're sure I'm in the same position. I'll probably paint it and auction it off at the end of my treatments, not.

On Sunday they cancelled church because of all the pretty snow. We kinda took it to mean they cancelled Sunday and let the kids play outside in all that winter-wonderfullness. It was so beautiful. I love this place. I'll post pictures soon.

So that's all that's new. I'm still waiting to jump for joy at being cancer-free. I am yet to feel up to jumping. Maybe tomorrow? Hope so. I got some Christmas to feel and do.


Rebecca said...

When your ready to get those tattoos off Rand is you man(or more likely Rands MA). He has been working on getting a laser for that. The least we could do.

Andrea said...

Can't wait to see those pics. How do you make everything seem fascinating? I'm so glad you have a great doc taking care of you. We'll pray for you to be able to jump soon.

MarySue said...

Continued prayers for you Shelby. You are one awesome gal. Had a great phone chat with your mom last week. Merry Christmas to all.

Cheryl said...

I have to agree with Andrea...you always make everything seem so fascinating. I find myself wanting to go to a radiation oncologist after reading that. But not really. You just have a way with words.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I had to give a lesson in YW on Sunday about optimism and gratitude. I just couldn't give this lesson without reading a post from your blog. Any post probably would have worked since you've always been so optimistic and grateful. But I read one of the early entries from the beginning of this whole ordeal. I thought if the girls (and all the leaders) could hear this, they could be grateful and look for the good in everything! Well needless to say everyone was in tears after I read your entry. Thanks for being a great example. Hope you're feeling better every day!

Anonymous said...

How are you doing now? Is the flu gone? I Hope so.

Anyhoo . . . I'm so excited that you are staying in St. Louis!! We will most definately consider staying here more seriously now.

Please give me a call or I'll call you about radiation treatment babysitting.

Michelle Ricks